Friday, February 27, 2009

Today's Adventure: VG/GF Banana Nut Waffles & Soy Latte

While cooking dinner last night I was pondering what I was going to make for breakfast. I really wanted something different. So I opened up the Veganomicon Cookbook once again and came across Banana Nut Waffles. Yup, my mind was pretty much made up at just reading the title. I am not sure if I can post the recipe so for now I will wait. So I prepped the waffles last night using a mix of Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and Oat Flour to make the GF as well. They smelled amazing cooking, it was hard not to dig in right then.

Veganomicon Banana Nut Waffles

But, I resisted and this morning I heated up one of the beautiful Banana Nut Waffle Circles.

02/27/09 Banana Nut Waffles Close Up

Toppings included:

1 teaspoon of Earth Balance Vegan Butter Spread
½ sliced banana
A few cut up strawberries & blueberries (Thanks Rachel – loved the color they added)
A sprinkle of unsweetened shredded organic coconut (maybe 1 tsp)
1 Tbsp toasted chopped walnuts*
Drizzle of Real Maple Syrup (about 1-2 Tbsp)

* Quick tip for toasting your nuts in the microwave. Simple put them in a little bowl and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute – tadah! They are so good this way and no oven or stove is required.

I also decided to put this whole VG/GF thing to the test today with Starbuck’s. I ordered a Tall Decaf Soy Latte and was pleasantly surprised when I saw they used Vanilla Soy Milk. I like how frothy it was when I got it and it sort of reminds me a bit of a vanilla marshmallow – not sweet, but, just a hint of that. I am not sure I am sold on having a latte this way, but, I will savor all morning and let you know if I make it through :D

Here is Breakfast all together:

02/27/09 Breakfast

Day 5 recap:

5 days down, 2 to go! Wow, it’s hard to believe I have been doing the whole Vegan & Gluten Free thing for 5 days now. I have honestly enjoyed this and now realize it isn’t as hard as I thought to do both. I think I am realizing my personal preference towards being Vegan, but, not so much towards being Gluten Free. My next step is deciding what to do when Sunday rolls around ~ Do I continue? Do I add back one thing at a time? I love the way I am feeling and I am curious to see the impact this has on the scale. I feel like I am able to balance healthy eating with a few treats. Ok, yes, the cupcakes are gone or will be today when The Husband eats the last two :D I enjoyed my eats yesterday and am looking forward to today’s just as much. That is really a great feeling

Calories burned: 3,290, Steps taken: 16,329
Calories consumed: 1,736
Protein: 12%, Carbs: 57%, Fat: 31%

Happy Friday All! Today is going to be awesome ~ the sun is shining bright in California and the weekend is just around the corner.

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to need to try Snobby Joes. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel said...
    Banana waffle very good. I recommend if you save it for the next day to toast it in a toaster or toaster oven. We warmed ours up in the microwave. I missed the crunch that waffles make. I ate 3 triangles and save one of the triangle for my son tonight. 1st triangle had apricot preserve and mixed berries. (It was ok), 2nd triangle had all natural almond butter & toasted walnuts (did not like it, it tasted dry), 3rd triangle was the BEST, it had the real maple syrup and vegan butter. Nothing beats the old fashioned way. Let's see if my son will like it tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually a big fan of waffles, but these look good! I can imagine making a sandwich of them with more bananas, almond butter, and vegan choc chips! Sounds more like dessert to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Housewife ~ Let me know how they turn out. I bet you love them.

    Rachel ~ you are too cute with all the different ways you made up your waffle toppings. I am glad you enjoyed them.

    Kirwin ~ Yum for the sandwich idea, I just may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are my favorite waffles!!! hubby loved them too!!! and they are great for reheating or making sammiches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Sarah ~ I was amazed how tasty these waffles were and will definitely make them again. I am excited to have some ready in the freezer for a quick breakfast.

    Danica

    ReplyDelete