I love pretty much all food ~ I can't say I discriminate against too many foods. For lunch I was inspired to make Vegan Pad Thai when I saw it here. I usually use a recipe as a starting point, then, throw is everything under the sun. The challenge that came along with this recipe was making it gluten free as well. As I scoured the shelves shopping yesterday, I came across two types of noodles that were gluten free/wheat free. One was made with brown rice and the other with white rice - seeing as pad thai uses a rice noodle, I picked the white rice spagetti noodle for this recipe. It takes a bit longer to cook than regular pasta (17 minutes), however, the flavor is definitely good ~ it tastes just like white rice. I was satisfied after eating my bowl and decided to save my cantelope/blueberries for later. This was fantastic, I can't wait to try the leftovers and would definitely make it again. I gve it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Here is the recipe I used as modified.
Vegan & Gluten Free Pad Thai
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup crunchy no salt added peanut butter
1 cup hot vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. Sriracha sauce (or more, to taste)
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
• Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth.
For the ‘Pad Thai’:
12 oz white rice noodles
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup sliced red onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 broccoli crown, cut into florets
1/3 cup shredded carrots
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
½ bag Trader Joe’s Edamame Blend
1/4 cup crushed peanuts
½ cup diced green onions
¼ cup chopped cilantro
• Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Add the Trader Joe’s Edamame blend 1 minute before the noodles are done. Drain & rinse with cold water.
• Prepare the sauce above.
• Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok or large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
• Add the onion, mushrooms, and broccoli. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion has softened.
• Stir in the carrot, bell pepper, prepared sauce, and cooked pasta. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the dish is heated through. Mix in all but a few tablespoons of the green onions and cilantro.
• Top with the crushed peanuts, green onions and cilantro before serving.
Makes 6, 1 ¼ cup servings
Nutrition Facts, Amount Per Serving
Calories 549.2, Total Fat 19.7 g, Saturated Fat 2.6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1.8 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 582.8 mg, Potassium 441.1 mg,
Total Carbohydrate 75.6 g, Dietary Fiber 9.3 g, Sugars 5.7 g, Protein 18.9 g
Up next, I am baking Vegan & Gluten Free Chocolate Chip/Pecan/Walnut/Oatmeal cookies.