Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fish Tacos in "Lettuce" Shells

I took my afternoon snack with me yesterday so I wouldn't end up going to the grocery store hungry. After stopping by to visit our friends and picking up my car, I was ready for it.

Photobucket

Blue Diamond 100 cal pack of raw almonds
1 Tbsp TJ's Berry Blend

I LOVE this 2 Weight Watcher Point snack!!! I picked up a couple of post Bikini Bootcamp things to try when I was at Trader Joe's - they are new to me!

Photobucket

TJ's Roasted Red Pepper Spread (it has amazing nutritionals!)
Mango Tangerine Sorbet
Raspberry Sorbet

I resisted opening any of them up to sample them too! Yahoo! I was definitely ready for dinner by the time I got home.

We started with Black Bean Soup.....You saute a little onion and garlic in olive oil before adding chicken or veggie broth and 2 cans of drained and rinsed black beans. Boil for 10 minutes and puree. I only pureed about 1/3 of it though because I like chunky, not baby food soups :) Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper before serving.

Photobucket

Then, you top it all off with some jicama, tomatos, AVOCADO and cilantro.

Photobucket

My biggest change for the next time I make this soup would be to spice it up ~ addint some chili powder, cumin, and paprika. It was still tasty but I think that would have made it more flavorful.

Photobucket

While the soup cooked, I got to work on my Fish Tacos in "Lettuce" Shells.

Photobucket

1 4 oz Tilapia fillet
Placed on a sheet of foil sprayed with nonstick spray
Seasoned with sprinkles of cajun seasoning, chili powder, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and lemon juice

I grilled it on the grill for 10 minutes. However, you could do the same in the oven on 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the fish is opaque. Shredd your fish and top 3 organic romaine lettuce leaves with the fish.

Photobucket

Next is your toppers. The star of the show if you don't make it TOO hot like me, is the Avocado Salsa Verde.

1/2 avocado
1/4 minced onion
1/2 jalepeno, minced
1 small garlic clove minced
1 Tbsp water

Blend the above in the blender, then stiry in a few pinches of cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings

Top your fish "tacos" with the Avocado Salsa Verde, some additional tomatoes and cilantro if desired. Dig in and enjoy!

The entire dish is only 5 Weight Watcher Points for 3 tacos with 1 serving of the Salsa. The romaine lettuce leaves work perfectly at keeping everything in taco shape.

Photobucket

The Husband doesn't eat fish at all so I pulled some of the Slow Cooker Beef Burrito mix out of the freezer and made him up some tacos. Click HERE for that recipe.

After dinner I went straight into doing my meditation, yoga and The Husband went on a nice long walk with me. I did one round of easy circuits when I came home. I was taking it easy yesterday because my hip was really hurting. Yes, I felt like such an old lady.

I was absolutely looking forward to dessert when I was all done ~ a big bowl of fresh berries - YUM! I swear I can never get enough of these.

Photobucket

We watched (um, well, I fell asleep), the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The Husband said it was great so I may have to catch up today and watch the rest.

Hope you all had a fantastic Saturday ~ my day was awesome getting a ton of things done and still finding time to hang out with The Husband/relax.

8 comments:

  1. i love those 100 calorie almonds .. they make portion control and portability so much easier! Have you ever tried the cocoa roast ones?! heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words to tell you how good the fish tacos look!!I agree I would flavor the soup too but still it looks so yummy to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lettuce tacos! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Fish tacos look great. Those should definitely appear on Food Network somewhere!
    Mango Tangerine sorbet sounds very tropical and summery :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving your TJ finds! The soup sounds yummy but I would have to throw some hot sauce in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmmmm i freaking love the red pepper spread and im so glad you sent me some!!

    those are some lovely looking low carb tacos! seriously they belong in a food mag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I LOVE that red pepper spread!! MMMMM!

    I need to try wrapping foods in lettuce - it looks so fresh :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny ~ The have cocoa ones?! OMG - must find them!

    Priyanka ~ Thanks! I wish I had remembered to spice up the soup....think I was just in a hurry to EAT! :)

    Anne ~ the tacos are right up your alley - so easy and delicious.

    Healthy Beach Bum ~ Ahhh - thanks! I can't wait to try the sorbet....I agree the combo sounds fun!

    C.G ~ I LOVE TJ's ~ ya, hot sauce would have been a good after thought since I didn't add it while cooking....I'll have to remember that next time - thanks!

    Janetha ~ I had a feeling you'd want to try it....i am dying to try it too. I can't tell you how many times I picked it up and set it down...but after seeing how you all have used it, I had to get it.

    K ~ The romaine lettuce worked really well for making "tacos"

    ReplyDelete