Friday, June 26, 2009

NHerShoes Perfect Pre-Race Meal

Hello Danica's Daily readers!! I was so excited when Danica asked me to do a guest post while she is on vacation! I hope you all enjoy!

I have experimented with a lot of prerace meals, pasta, chicken, rice, and so much more! I am sticking with what works for me and that is PIZZA! I believe that pizza has the perfect balance of carbs, protein, and healthy fats to fuel my body before a big race or even a long run!

First I start with the O’ so easy Pizza Dough Recipe.

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon honey ( I used Agave Nectar)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.
  4. Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.

clip_image001

clip_image002
While it bakes I prep the toppings

  • sliced bell pepper
  • sliced tomato
  • leftover asparagus from last night
  • mushrooms
  • goat cheese
  • baby spinach
  • roasted red peppers

clip_image003

As always we make a His and Her Pizza:)
clip_image004

clip_image005

I love experimenting with toppings and this pizza was on of the “Greenest” Pizza I had ever made!

clip_image006

I always make a HUGE salad to enjoy on the side.

clip_image007

clip_image008

I can’t imagine a more perfect pre-race meal!! Please visit, NHerShoes for more pizza ideas and more!!

8 comments:

  1. I make homemade pizza often and use a whole wheat crust myself. I'll have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats so cool that your pre race meal is pizza and not pasta!! im so glad to see this because I'm not the biggest fan of pasta.
    looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I love wheat germ, and I never would have thought to put it into pizza dough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw bobbi is the best. ok now that multiple people have made this dough I feel confident I can try it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobbi ~ OMG - this looks soooo delicious - I NEED to have pizza and salad now. Seriously, homemade pizza is sooo much better than any take out you can get - thanks for the fantastic post!

    Vicky - Do tell if you try it and like it.

    Peanut ~ I agree - I'd take pizza over pasta any day!

    C.G. ~ OMG - I wish she did - I need to sign up if she does :)

    Missy ~ I agree.....drooling!

    Bobbi ~ it LOOKS and SOUNDS amazingly good!

    Broccoli ~ I've used wheat germ in alot of things and you don't taste it. It works awesome as helping to keep things moist and boosting the fiber/filling factor.

    RuntoFinish ~ You can totally do it! :)

    ReplyDelete