Tuesday, June 30, 2009

BBQ & a Summer Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad

Tonight when I stopped for some essentials at Trader Joe’s I SCORED the BEST deal ever!!! Seriously, if you all have a TJ’s near you, you need to get these.  3 lbs of firm, crispy, crunchy and amazing sweet cherries for only $5.99.

IMG_8306

Yup ~ we seriously have a ton of fruit to eat!  No worries though – The Husband is a fruit hound.  I wish I had his ability to pick a piece of fruit over ice cream, but, that is what he often does for dessert *sigh*.

Tonight for dinner we were both craving some BBQ.  I decided to make extra so that The Husband has snacks.  I also wanted to use some of those fantastic cherry tomatoes I told you all about in a salad.

Summer Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad

IMG_8307

1 Container of Fresh Mozzarella Balls in lightly salted water, drained

2 cups cherry tomatoes, havled

Handful ~ 7 basil leaves, chopped

1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar

1/2 tsp honey

Garlic Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste

Drain the mozzarella and sprinkle it with the garlic salt and pepper. I like using garlic salt because you get the saltiness plus garlic flavor without getting an overpowering raw garlic flavor that you will taste for hours.

Add cherry tomatoes and basil.  Mix the liquids and pour over the top.  Enjoy!

With this salad, I grilled up some super lean boneless Center Pork Loin Ribs, Organic Chicken Legs and Trader Joe’s Chicken Apple Sausages (only 3 WWP each!)  I had 1/2 a rib and 1/2 a sausage with my chicken leg. 

IMG_8312

Plus some of the BEST Mac & Cheese EVER!  Annie’s White Shells and Cheddar.  Now the secret to making this perfect every time is to add a little salt to your water when you boil it, add 1 Tbsp of REAL butter along with a small splash (less than 1/4 c fat free milk – I do 2 1 second splashes) and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.  These steps make it CREAMY not watery!

IMG_8310

And of course, a small cup of the Summer Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad above.

IMG_8311

My eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach.  I only had 1/2 of the rib you see there, but, did a good job eating the rest!  I LOVED the TJ’s apple sausages – you can taste the PURE MAPLE syrup they use along with the apples and a hint of cinnamon – YUM!

IMG_8309 

Ok ~ Now it’s time for a little FUN Mail!  While we were away my Sonny Joe’s Contest Prize Pack arrived!  I was soooooo bummed because it arrived the day AFTER we left which meant it sat out for FOUR days!  I think I wasn’t meant to try Sonny’s and I was SOOOOO looking forward to it *sigh*  For what it’s worth, here is what my smelly prize pack looked like before I had to toss it ALL in the trash.

IMG_8288 

FOUR fantastic sounding flavors:

* Hummus Galilee ( OLIVE!)

*Just Hummus

* Buffalo Hummus

* Garlic Addiction

That’s about all I can tell you all about this hummus!  All was made better though when I opened up my NEXT package…….

The fantastic peeps at Amazing Grass sent me the Best of Both Worlds Organic Greens Sampler Pack – check out ALL the amazing products they sent my way!

IMG_8290

* 2 Single Serving Berry Green Packs

* 2 Single Serving Chocolate Green Super Foods

* 2 Single Serving Superfood Packets

* 2 Single Serving Wheat Grass Packets

* 2 Chocolate Green Super Food Bars

* 2 Green Superfood Energy Bars

* 2 Amazing Meal Original Packs

* 2 Amazing meal Pom. Mango Packs

* 2 Amazing Meal Chocolate Packs

* 1 Super Cool Amazing Grass Shaker Container

I have been wanting to try out Wheat Grass ever since I first read about it in Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean books and learned how to eat clean!  She swears by it daily, however,  I have not yet been able to convince myself to drink it straight up.  I think Amazing Grass is the solution for me as they provide a product that you can mix in and flavor up!   I cannot wait to try everything here! I already have a smoothie planned for tomorrow….hmmm, which do I start with :) Reviews coming soon for all those clean eaters like me who have been wanting to brave Wheat Grass.

Stay tuned all as I have a fantastic Amazing Grass Giveaway planned for you all this week where you too can score a Best of Both Pack – yahoo!

For now though ~ My Vegas recap and product giveaway have to wait…..The Husband said until I get over my cold I have to get some sleep and am on blogging restriction lol if it cuts into my bedtime…….boooo!

Alright ~ Catch you all in the morning for more fun – Nite!

11 comments:

  1. That's the saddest thing, having to throw out all that goodness! I'm so sorry for your loss.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the caprese salad! We make that a lot in the summer.

    So sorry about your hummus - that stinks!

    I've been seeing Amazing Grass everywhere! Looking forward to hearing what you think :)

    I'm with your hubby - gotta take care of you! Feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would honestly cry if I had to throw out hummus. Seriously. Sad day at the Danica's Daily Household :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. those cherries are a steal for real!

    lovely dinner -- i love chicken apple sausages :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Major bummer on having to throw out all of that yummy hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, that summer salad looks amazing! I love fresh mozzarella. So sad about the hummus, though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH a bummer about the hummus! at least you have all that amazing grass to enjoy. i love a caprese salad! that one looks deliciouso!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm That hummus sounds fab! Can't wait for your review!
    I am sipping some Amazing Meal right now--love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn ~ I KNOW!!!! I was sooooo thoroughly bummed when I saw the box - I wish I knew it was coming so I could've had someone put it in the fridge.

    Marisa ~ I LOVE caprese salads although I think I like them with regular mozzarella over fresh. Which do you prefer?

    K ~ It was such a sad day, I didn't really want to throw it out but The Husband insisted after I opened the box :D

    Jenny ~ I was surprised how tasty the sausages were - I will buy them again for sure.

    Danielle ~ I know - maybe the Soony & Joes peeps will see my loss and resend?!

    Anne ~ The salad was amazing especially with the fantastic in season organic cherry tomatoes.

    Janetha ~ Yes! I am excited to try ALL the amazing grass stuff.

    Broccoli ~ I WISH I could review it, but, since it sat out for 4 days while I was on vacation I cannot :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made your caprese salad recipe....love the idea of the garlic salt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Van ~ That is awesome - glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete