Sunday, March 15, 2009

Being a Flexitarian and Shrimp Scampi

Today was such a fabulous day for me even though the weather was cloudy and drizzly. I feel like I got so much accomplished in my weekend yet still managed to fit in a little relaxation (pedicure and reading) too. I set up our FREE Comcast McAfee Security (did you know if you use them for your internet, you get McAfee for FREE). I also set up our fancy wireless printer that we bought back in February. I LOVE it. I could go on and list everything but I am sure to bore you all ~ suffice to say, today was super productive.

Now onto the Flexitarian thing. This past month I have tried being Vegan and Gluten Free, Vegan and Vegetarian. In the past I would have told you that I could easily do the vegetarian thing and you were crazy if you thought I would do the vegan and/or the gluten free thing. However, I actually found them all to be enjoyable and could see myself living the lifestyle if I had to do it. I do enjoy some seafood, chicken, pork and occassionally good quality beef. I am more of what I like to call a "Flexitarian". I usually shoot for 1 meal a week as vegetarian, but, after my adventures this month, I think that I can see more vegan and vegetarian meals showing up in the picture. I honestly really have been giving thought to the article that Kirwin shared with me about the man who was vegan until 6 pm. I told myself I would ride out the vegan/vegetarian thing until I was ready to try something new. Tonight was the night and I have decided to return to my flexitarian status.

Do not fret, I will definitely be having my fair share of vegan and vegetarian meals and I will do my best to include in my recipes ways to make them vegetarian/vegan. However, I know that for me personally, I do better in my overall health and eating when I include at least 20-30% of my diet in lean, healthy proteins. This is my main reason for the change ~ I LOVE food of all types and do not see any reason ultimately to limit myself to only select groups. I can however participate in all facets of life by eating vegan, vegetarian and omnivorous meals :) I am just being true to myself and I think that I can provide alot more recipes to everyone this way too. I hope that you will understand and stick by me as I travel into the next journey of my life. I will have recipes for all groups to share.

All that being said, tonight I made one of The Husband's and my favorite recipes ~ Shrimp Scampi. This recipe is so easy to make and so tasty that you will never miss all the fat you get when you order it at a restaraunt.

Shrimp Scampi Up Cloe

Danica's Shrimp Scampi

1 T butter, 1 T Olive Oil (you can use all olive oil if you like)
1 shallot, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lemon juiced
1 tsp salt
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, and deveined (I buy mine from Costco already cleaned and shelled)
2 T chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or basil
(optional)Lemon wedgesBamboo or metal skewers**

NOTE: Optional step - soak your skewers for 30 minutes in water prior to using. I sometimes use rosemary sprigs as my skewers too for added flavor.

If using the oven, preheat the broiler. If using the grill, preheat the grill.

Melt butter with olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heart, then add the shallot and garlic. Cook stirring frequently until golden 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.

To broil: Spray a nonstick 9x13 dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the shrimp mixture into the prepared dish. Broil for 3 minutes. Stir and broil for 3 more minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy.

To Grill: Thread the shrimp on your skewers. Poor any sauce remaining in the pan on the skewers. Place the skewers on your grill and cook until the shrimp are opaque in the center and lightly browned on the outside, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and sprinkle with the basil or parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

I sometimes will use green onions or leeks in place or with the shallots as another option.

I love to serve this over pasta and spinach as pictured above. It's so simple to make and very low in calories and fat.

For my dinner tonight, I served the shrimp scampi on a bed of 1 1/2 cups spinach and 1 cup of fettucine. It was absolutely fabulous and I completely missed it!

Danica's Shrimp Scampi

The Husband was so proud of himself for making his 7 minute Costco Tri-Tip to go with his version, that he wanted me to take a picture and share. He even decorated his own plate - lol.

03/15/09 The Husbands Dinner

Phew ~ That was a long post, if you made it this far, I absolutely commend you. :D LOL. I am off to watch a movie with The Husband, do a little Yoga and hit the hay. I hope your weekend was as great as mine. It definitely makes Monday seem better somehow.

2 comments:

  1. I can attest to the tastiness of your shrimp scampi. My whole entire family loves it, and we always eye each other's shrimp. "Are you going to eat that?" is a common phrase when this dish is made. LOL but true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirwin ~ Thanks, so glad you all like it. It's so simple and tasty, but, I might be biased :)

    ReplyDelete