Friday, March 13, 2009

My eyes were bigger than my stomach

Tonight I decided to go with a fast, easy and that would help me clear out the fridge. I cooked up one of my favorite recipes for having zucchini and summer squash ~ Parmesan Squash. The Husband does not like squash at all, but, I have to fight him off this dish to get some if I want any. It goes together in minutes.

Parmesan Squash

Parmesan Squash

4 medium Size Zucchini, sliced
2-3 small crook neck squash, sliced
~ 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly Ground Pepper
Sea Salt
1/4-1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your squashes and cook for about 5 minutes stirring/flipping occassionally as you "carmelize"/brown the squash. You do not want to over cook it, just get a little bit of brown goodness going. Sprinkle as desired with salt and pepper. Top with parmesan, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for about 8-10 minutes, depending on desired consistency. I like the squash to be firm versus soggy.

It's really that easy! The key is definitely in the carmelization - it really adds to the flavor. Too bad I didn't get a picture of it. But, here is another up close ~ Yum!

Parmesan Squash Up Close

While the squash cooked, I boiled some pasta, sauted some mushrooms and reheated some of the leftover CrockPot Spagetti Sauce. I put about 1 cup of pasta on top of a bed of spinach as soon as it was cooked and drained. The heat helps to steam the spinach and it gives you an added vegetable boost. I then topped it with the sauce, mushrooms, a little parmesan and more spinach (because I didn't have basil, but, you can't tell!) :D

03/13/09 Spagetti w/Crockpot Sauce & Mushrooms

With my share of the Parmesan Squash above.

03/13/09 Parmesan Squash

I also broiled up a slice of our Multi-Grain Sour Dough from The Grateful Bread with a little bit of butter. I only managed to each about 2/3's of my plate before I had to call it quits. I guess I waited too long to eat because I dished up more than my stomach could eat.

03/13/09 Dinner

It was such an easy and filling dinner. The Husband was happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment