Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vegan Carrot Cupcake w/Cream Cheese Frosting ~ The Recipe

Here is the recipe I used to make the cupcakes. The original recipe in Vegetarian Times includes an icing which I am not a fan of. So, I switched to cream cheese frosting ~ Yum!

The Husband and I both agree that these are better than the Vegan/Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. However, that being said, I think it might be due to the Gluten Free Flours. Both are fabulous treats.

Vegan Carrot Cake w/Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
By Christina Kaoh
Vegetarian Times, February 2009
Serves 15 for cake, 12 for cupcakes

Cake:

1 medium ripe banana, frozen, then thawed (I didn’t freeze mine)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups grated carrots (2 medium carrots) – I finely shredded mine
1 ¼ cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup raisins
½ cup chopped walnuts (I roasted mine at 350 for 7 minutes first)

Frosting from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World Cookbook:

¼ cup vegan cream cheese, softened
¼ cup vegan butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1. To make cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I made cupcakes and lined a cupcake pan with cupcake holders. Mash thawed banana in a large bowl. Whisk in sugar, oil, carrots. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, until no lumps remain. Fold in raisins and walnuts.

2. Pour cake batter into cupcake holders about ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.

3. To make frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time beating until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Frost all 12 cupcakes generously. Store any extra frosting in the fridge covered for up to two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel said...
    This cupcake was awesome...I had it without the icing. I'm on a diet and I said to myself I will only eat half of it as I drive home. Boy was I fooling myself. After I ate 1/2, I ended up finishing the entire darn thing. I tell you what it was worth it. Just have to hit the gym a little longer. You should post the 35 calorie cupcake that you recommended to me. I made it and everyone is raving about it. Maybe your viewers might want the recipe. I would have never known it existed until you told me.

    ReplyDelete