Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Vegan Mini Mexican Pizzas ~ Quick & Easy

Taco Bell has nothing on these fabulous Mini Mexican Pizzas. Ok, well, I haven't honestly had a Taco Bell Mini Pizza since I, um, well, I can't remember when ~ high school? Ages ago? I actually do not eat (rarely and only when I have to) fast food after watching Super Size me about 5 years ago. It forever tainted my brain and well honestly, you do not get that much food for the calories/fat it costs you. Anyway.....we whipped up these fabulous pizzas tonight in under 20 minutes ~ so simple, so easy. This is from my Lowfat Vegetarian Cookbook and I "veganized" them.

03/04/09 Dinner ~ Vegan Mini Mexican Pizza

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place your favorite tortilla (I used flour) on a cookie sheet covered in foil and bake for 2 minute. Flip and bake 1 minute longer.

While your tortillas are in the works chop up and mix:

2 cups roma tomatoes, diced
1-2 green onions diced
1-2 Tbsp cilantro
Juice of 1 lime, about 1 Tbsp
1/2 tsp cumin

Heat up your favorite can of refried beans. I used Fat Free Vegan salsa refried bean ~ Yum!

When your tortillas are out of the oven, simple top with your beans, (about 1/4-1/2 cup), then, your tomato mixture (about 1/3-1/2 cup), and soy cheddar cheese. I used Veggie Shreds.

Bake in the oven for 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and your tortilla is crunchy. Slice into 4 slices and enjoy.

Up Close

I had actually bought and cooked up some LightLife Smart Ground Veggie Crumbles and mixed it with the extra taco seasoning I had leftover from my Surprise Tacos. The Husband came in and took a big scoop before asking me what it was. He thought it was ground beef. I had to try it after watching him rinse his mouth out. I have to say, this was not very good at all. I did add some to my pizza in a small triangle and it wasn't too bad that way, but, I definitely will not buy this product again ~ bleh!

This afternoon I made another Green Monster, but, a little too healthy. I was thinking that since the first one took on the flavor of banana, pineapple would be good. Ummmm, not so much.

03/04/09 Snack - Bright Green Monster

In the mix:

1 c pineapple
1/2 c almond breeze, 1/2 cup water
1 cucumber
1 cup spinach

It wasn't bad but it sorta reminded me of that artificial watermelon tasting candy. My co-worker was so eager to try it because she loved the last one I made but her reaction was hilarious. She was like OMG, Danica, you are not going to drink that are you?! So ya, probably not one I'd recommend.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I just asked Kirwin the same question...out of all the vegan meals you 've experimented with over the past week or so which has been your favorite? I want to try some recipes myself and I'm not sure where to begin.

    That pizza looks tasty...I haven't had pizza in soooo long!

    sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sminnick (you know Sara is so much easier to type) :) You know this is a tough one for me because I honestly have really enjoyed every meal I've made. I think if I had to pick one of my favorites it would be the Pad Thai. The Husband says the Chili was the best. For easiness, I think the Vegetable Gyoza with Edamame Succotash is tasty too. However, you cannot go wrong with the Pizza -it's fabulous!

    Do share what you try, I'd love to know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete