Saturday, April 25, 2009

Trader Joe's Food Find Reviews

Today has been a fantastic day of getting things done - I haven't had a chance to make it back to the computer until now. I started off by shopping at TJ's and a local store to get our eats for the week. I came across some favorites and a couple of cool new finds at Trader Joe's that I wanted to share with you all.

Photobucket

I LOVE that Trader Joe's will open any product and let you try it before you buy it. I asked if the "Righteous Rounds" were any good and sure enough he opened them for me to try. Look at how cute they are - they are definitely mini cookies about 1 inch:

Photobucket

I was honestly really intrigued by them because they are NOT BAKED more than 75 degrees and they are made using fruit and vegetable concentrates. Check out the ingredient list:

Photobucket

They are pretty tasty - crunchy, chocolately and you can taste the brown sugar! I was shocked - for 140 calories you get 5 cookies. They are more of a treat though than something that will sustain you even with the 3 g of fiber and 4 g of protein they pack. It's my way of sneaky in a healthy treat for The Husband and he won't know it :)

I bought two of my favorite chocolates - the 100 calorie dark chocolate bar (I took one out so you can see the size) is only 2 pts for the entire bar! I also bought the regular 72% Dark Chocolate bars that are 4 pts for the entire bar - yeah! I figured I will be prepared with some healthy anti-oxidants the next time a chocolate craving hits (bad, M&M's, bad!) More on the banana chips in a second.

For lunch, I made up the BL Jump Start Smokey Sausage Lentil Soup. I added some Habanero Tabasco to give it some heat and used the Amy's Pepperjack Chicken Sausage I had on hand. It was pretty tasty and makes a ton so I definitely will be freezing some.

Photobucket

And a side salad with Newman's Own Lite Cranberry Walnut dressing. I liked this dressing, but, the herbiness was a bit over powering and you couldn't even taste the walnut part. It has a nice sweetness to vinegar ratio though without being too sweet or tart.

Photobucket

I decided I wanted something sweet after and broke open the bag of Freeze Fried 50% less fat banana chips. I was surprised to see how poofy they are.

Photobucket

They taste nothing like the real deal. They are super crunchy but just eh ok. I probably would not buy them again and I had no problem stopping at 2. The Husband agreed as well.

Next up.....Diva Night!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love Righteous Rounds!!!! They are a great treat!

    Thanks for the review on the Banana Chips; I always wondered about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa - Me too! I wasn't impressed with the banana chips - not worth the 3 pts for a 1/2 cup (like 5-6 chips maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  3. went to tj's yesterday and was told that the righteous round cookies have been discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kulwant,

    That is such a bummer - I LOVED those little healthy cookies.

    Thanks for letting me know!

    Danica

    ReplyDelete