Monday, May 4, 2009

Healthy Homemade Chunky Applesauce

Last night for the first time ever, I made my own applesauce. It was so incredibly easy and tasty ~ I can't imagine buying store bought now that I know how good the real deal tastes. There is no sugar added but by the flavor you'd never know it. The sweeter your apple, the sweeter your applesauce will be. The mixture really reminds me of the inside of a warm apple pie.

For those clean eaters out there, this recipe is 100% CLEAN. 80 calories, 0 g fat, 3 g fiber (1 WWP) per 1/2 cup serving.

Homemade Chunky Applesauce

Photobucket

2 fuji apples, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 Tbsp water
1/2 Lemon, Juiced
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine apples, water and lemon juice in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Once the mixture is boiling, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes. You want the apples to be soft but still maintain their shape.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Once cooled, add to your blender (I used my Magic Bullet Blender!) and chopped until the mixture is saucy but still stunky.

Pour into a bowl and stir in cinnamon and vanilla. Tadah! Easy, cheesy, right? It's great served hot or cold.

I couldn't wait to dig into the applesauce for breakfast this morning. I used my applesauce this morning to flavor up my oatmeal & and fat free plain greek yogurt. I also had a little on the side to enjoy as dessert along with 2 fluffy eggwhites.

Photobucket

It was a fun breakfast on the go! I liked being able to eat out of so many unmatched "togo" containers :D LOL.....

I had my 2nd official weigh in this morning ~ down .6 lbs! You know what - I'll take it! Anything down is in the right direction and I wasn't the "perfect" Jump Starter this week. Now it's time to reel myself back in and see if I can report a better number next week. I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already.

Quick recap for yesterday:

2,637 Calories Burned
9,199 Steps Taken
1,510 Calories Consumed

I am hoping the rain stays away long enough to get out at lunch for a nice long walk! Tonight I am making another fun Giveaway Announcement as well, so be sure to check back for that.

See you all after lunch!

5 comments:

  1. My husband makes a ton of homemade applesauce in the fall/early winter. His mom has a very prolific apple tree and there's only so much, pie/cobbler/muffins you can consume! It is vey easy, very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the .6! You're doing awesome.

    PS - What a great sauce recipe. I really need to invest in a Bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum your applesauce looks great! I will try to make that one of these days! Can't wait for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. crap i just bought a jar of applesauce the other day. this homemade version looks so good! i will remember it for next time, i am sure i will be eating a lot of applesauce in my near future. congrats on the .6! plus you have prob built up some lean muscle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VickY ~ Yum! I need to come to your house in the fall. I LOVE everything with apples especially baked goodies.

    Jane ~ Thanks for your support - I really do appreciate it! I have no doubt that you will LOVE your bullet when you get it.

    Missy ~ Do tell if you try the applesauce - I'd love to know what you think. I just posted the contest - yeah!

    Janetha ~ Thanks - I am going to visualize it all as trading fat for muscle :) You could always make the applesauce when you run out of the jar stuff :)

    One of my favorite treats with no sugar or cinnamon added applesauce - Mix a big jar with sugar free jello (no water) and it tastes just like a fruit roll up.

    ReplyDelete