Thursday, May 21, 2009

The lesson I learned today.....

Today I kept thinking it's almost Friday, it's almost Friday - 3 1/2 day weekend - wooohooo!! Since my brain was already in vacation mode, off we went to AAA today at lunch to pick up some books and maps. We are taking my Sister-in-Law and her hubby to Las Vegas and possibly the Grand Canyon next month - I can't wait!

Rachel and I were completely on the same brain wave length today. After running to AAA and to Target to buy fun stuff, we both were like - "what do you have for lunch?" She eats the same thing everyday - I don't know how she does it. In my mad rush, I threw in stuff to make a sandwich with hummus and veggies. Then, on thought...we are right next to the cheap "sushi" place - let's get take out!

We both ordered a Hawaiian Roll - Spicy tuna with cucumber, avocado, Tobiko and spicy sauce - so awesome!

Photobucket

And we shared an Avocado Rice Wrap Roll Up Thingy ~ Yes, that is exactly what they call it on the box :D

Photobucket

Avocado makes everything better, doesn't it?! It was the best lunch and all for under $10 - woohoo!

My lunch held me over for a long time. Until....we stayed late and traffic was once again awful! My 11 mile + 7 mile drive to my co-workers house took 1 hour and 15 minutes ~ugh! I seroiusly had thoughts thinking I could walk and run it faster. Ok, I know this isn't the case, but, still!

After I dropped off my co-worker, I stopped at the local Farmer's Market by our house. I am on a quest for nectarines. No such luck, think I need to try on Saturday. I did pick up two packs of these awesome looking tortillas.

Photobucket

I was STARVING by the time I got home at 7:15 and ended up switching from my planned BBQ Chicken Avocado Wrap to Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Burritos. I took out a baggie of frozen beans I put in the freezer when I made them a few weeks back. Dinner was ready in 10 minutes - woohoo!

Photobucket

Photobucket

All wrapped up and ready to go! The Husband cut up the avocado - I LOVE big chunks of AVOCADO!

Photobucket

I also learned an important lesson tonight. You know how I freeze everything? Well, in my haste to not waste (hey, that rhymes!), I froze a 1/2 a butternut squash in hopes that I could cook it up later. I popped it in my microwave steamer with some water and cooked it for 8 minutes. Here was the result sprinkled with a little sea salt:

Photobucket

Absolutely nasty! It was totally soggy and watery and just plain ick! So, if you are ever thinking to "freeze" that butternut squash, I wouldn't recommend it! :D Just go ahead and cook it up!

I came home to the coolest surprise ever, however, The Husband made me wait until after dinner to open....My surprise is up next!

3 comments:

  1. weird your new posts didnt show up on my google reader. luckily i came by your page to check the older comments!

    i thought it was weird that there werent a bunch of new posts from you though.

    anyway! YES avocado makes anything and everything better, as does sushi!

    ok a surprise, i better go read more :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that hawaiian roll and avocado roll looks delicious-- and I love the name, haha!

    Eew! I'll remember that about the B-nut squash. Soggy butternut squash does not sound appetizing. I'll just make more b-nut squash fries. I never seem to have any trouble finishing them, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janetha ~ I am in the process of dropping my "blogspot" and going to just www.danicasdaily.com. I think it is making my subscription/reader feedings whacked. They said it would take up to 3 days but I hope it goes faster. Thanks for checking anyway :)

    Anne ~ I LOVE butternut squash fries too - I should have done that with this one but I was too lazy.

    ReplyDelete