Monday, July 13, 2009

Tortilla & Black Bean Casserole

I have been wanting to make this recipe ever since I first saw the picture and read the ingredient list.  I took THIS Martha Stewart recipe and made a healthier version for dinner tonight. 

Tortilla & Black Bean Casserole

IMG_9094

** Make it VEGAN by using Veggie Shredds Pepper Jack or Cheddar Cheese.

Ingredients

4 (10-inch) flour tortillas ~ I used Low-Fat Salsa tortillas
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, diced
1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water – I used 1 Pacifico Mexican Beer
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
2-3 Tbsp chopped cilantro 
2 1/2 cups (8 ounces) low-fat shredded Mexican cheese

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.   Spray a 9 inch round casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.

2.  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.

3.  Add beans and beer to skillet, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.

4.  Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of your baking dish; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until hot and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions, cilantro and any other toppings you desire. To serve, slice into wedges.

Makes 6, 7 Weight Watcher Point wedges

Here is a photo recap of the process.  Start out by sautéing your veggies and spices.

 IMG_9062

Add your beans and beer.  Cook until the beer is almost evaportated.

IMG_9065

Add your corn, cilantro and scallions.

IMG_9078 

Stir to combine and you get this beautiful mixture that smells amazing!

IMG_9079

Start out by layering one tortilla and topping it with 1/3 of the bean mixture.

IMG_9081 

Top with 1/3 cup of cheese.  Repeat 3 times.

IMG_9082

Bake for 20 minutes or until your lowfat cheese doesn’t really melt :)

IMG_9088 

Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and slice into 6 wedges.  Top with your scallions and green onions.

IMG_9096

And the Salsa of your choice.

IMG_9098

Tonight we picked “Smoke On The Mountain” from Big S Farms.  I LOVE the ingredient listing and the chunkiness of their salsa.  This medium salsa has a slightly sweeter taste than the Fire on The Mountain, but, in a good way.  It added fantastic flavor to this dish.

IMG_9091IMG_9093 

I also couldn’t resist adding AVOCADO.  I just really think you shouldn’t eat Mexican food without it!

IMG_9100

This is served up on a salad plate so visually it looks like you get ALOT.  It is definitely a nice size serving for only 7 Weight Watcher Points.  I LOVED the flavor of the beans, but, I really think there needed to be more “spice” to this dish.  Maybe adding a can of diced green chili’s or putting the SALSA IN THE BEANS would have made it fantastic.  I LOVED the cheesy layers…….

IMG_9101

The Husband was not a fan….in fact, he doesn’t even want the leftovers.  I guess I’ll be adding to the freezer since I cannot eat 4 servings in one week of this! Lunch tomorrow maybe…. LOL.

I also had dessert tonight BEFORE dinner (while it was cooking actually) but I cannot share it yet until I submit it.  I promise to share ASAP because it was AWESOME!

We received the CUTEST invitation for my nephews birthday party today.  I am not sure if my mom or sis made it, but, I had to show you all – so cute!

IMG_9106

Oh and at the “ripe” age of 2, my “nephew” emailed us to tell us what he would like for his birthday….they must start them young on computers now a days :D LOL……

Alright all ~ I am off to type up recipes, maybe finish my interview too that I will share one day, I promise LOL, read and get to bed early.  Oh….guess that would be now since it’s almost 9 *sigh*  I have an early wake up call……

See you all in the morning!

11 comments:

  1. what a great tex-mex recipe! it looks delicious... i have got to try this one of these days! btw, thank you for entering our Old Bay Seasoning giveaway! good luck and thanks for subsribing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I have to go to the grocery store tonight and I think I may get the stuff to make this! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both made Mexican inspired foods last night! Hello, Bikini Bootcamp???? :)

    Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe and how you twisted it looks delicious. Gotta add the avocado! It's a must!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. m'mm you are the mexican foodie queen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum this has a lot of similar ingredients to the mex lasagna i made the other night. so yum! i love cumin so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious! Can't beat beans, melty cheese, and salsa :)

    Watch out or your nephew might end up with a Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so easy and delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful color in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krissy ~ Thanks for stopping by and I LOVE the Old Bay giveaway - hope I win :)

    Emily ~ Cool - I need to check your blog to see what you think :)

    Angelea ~ I was totally thinking that as I made it.

    Havefaith ~ I add avocado whenever I can - it makes everything amazing to me!

    Jenny ~ LOL - thanks!

    Janetha ~ Ohhh ya, it does. I was drooling over your mexican lasagna - I need to try that!

    K ~ That's funny, but, I wouldn't be surprised :)

    C.G. ~ it was both easy and delish. I think I'd spice it up a bit more and add some tomato-y-ness next time.

    Caroline ~ Thanks, I try to balance out the color for good pictures :D

    ReplyDelete